The State of Connecticut has announced its intent to adopt a new State Building Code and a new State Fire Safety Code.
The new codes will largely be based on nationally recognized codes and standards, including the following:
2016 Connecticut State Building Code
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2012 International Existing Building Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2014 NFPA 70, National Electrical Code
- 2009 ANSI A117.1, Accessible and Useable Buildings and Facilities
2016 Connecticut Fire Safety Code
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2012 NFPA 101, Life Safety Code
The proposed state amendments to the above codes and standards can be found at the link below.
Date of Adoption
The new codes are intended to take effect on October 1, 2016.
Use of Old Code
Following the adoption of the new code, the use of the previous state building and fire safety codes will only be permitted by means of a modification with the State. The basis for this modification and use of the old code will be substantial design progression and is expected to be evaluated on a project-by-project basis.
More about this change, along with the State’s notice of intent can be found on the CT Division of Construction Services Website: