For projects in Massachusetts, multiple dwellings are required to comply with 521 CMR. In multiple dwellings for rent (not for sale) that contain 20 or more units, at least 5% of the dwelling units must be Group 2A units (521 CMR 9.4). 521 CMR includes unique requirements that designers may not be familiar with based on experience with other requirements such as FHA or ANSI A117.1. Some of these high-level requirements are included below:
- Wheelchair turning space is required to be provided clear of the door swing.
- The centerline of the toilet is required to be at least 42” from the farthest side wall or the closest edge of an adjacent fixture. A minimum of 42” clear is required to be provided from the front edge of the toilet.
- Clear floor space at bathtubs is required to be 30” x 72”. At least 12” of the clear floor space length is required to extend beyond the drain end of the tub.
- Shower curbs must not be higher than ½” and must be beveled.
- Bathtub faucets and mixing valves are required to be centered horizontally on the long wall, exactly 28” above the floor. Shower mixing valves are required to be centered horizontally on the long wall, 38”- 48” above the shower floor.
- A counter space at least 15” wide is required to be provided on one side of the sink, cooktop, and refrigerator.
- Built-in microwave ovens and at least one conventional oven are required to be wall ovens with the floor of the oven exactly 30” above the floor.
- If corner cabinets are provided in L-shaped or U-shaped kitchens, a built-in lazy susan must be capable of being provided.
- At least one base cabinet is required to provide a drawer or drawers).
- Refrigerators are required to be either a unit with two side-by-side doors or a freezer above refrigerator unit.
Note that there may be other accessibility requirements applicable to your project.