As a means of preventing the spread of COVID-19, the City of Boston has ordered all non-essential construction work to cease as of March 17, 2020. Contractors have until March 23 to complete “make-safe” work at the sites. Emergency work will be permitted to continue, however these projects will be approved by the Commissioner of Inspectional Services on a case-by-case basis. The list of essential work includes:
- Emergency utility, road, or building work such as gas leaks, water leaks, and sinkholes
- New utility connections in occupied buildings
- Mandated building or utility work
- Work at public health facilities, shelters, etc. that support vulnerable populations
- Work that ensures reliability of the transportation network
- Other work necessary to render occupied residential buildings fully habitable.
This shutdown does not impact permitting, although social distancing protocols would suggest it may be best to submit permits electronically during the shutdown if possible.
For additional information on safely securing work sites and/or assistance in modifying your NFPA 241 Plans to represent this intermediary state, please click here.