On Friday, October 11, 2019, the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services announced that amendments to 527 CMR 1.00, Massachusetts Comprehensive Fire Safety Code would go into effect on Friday, October 18, 2019.
The newest updates to the code are intended to align it more closely with the 2018 Edition of NFPA 1. However, this amendment does not adopt the 2018 Edition of NFPA 1 in its entirety and the basis of the code is still the 2015 Edition. Major amendments which are being promulgated with this version of the code include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Authorities Having Jurisdiction (527 CMR 1.00 Section 3.2)
- Fire Department Vehicle Access Roads (527 CMR 1.00 Section 18.2)
- Cannabis Growing, Processing, and Extraction Facilities (527 CMR 1.00 Chapter 38)
- Tank Vehicle Inspections (527 CMR 1.00 Chapters 1 and 42)
- On-Demand Mobile Vehicle Fueling (527 CMR 1.00 Section 42.10)
- Energy Storage Systems (527 CMR 1.00 Chapter 52)
The sections above address some growing industries and compliance methodologies which were previously unaddressed by the code, which should help bring some clarity to the appropriate code requirements for owners, architects, and designers, alike.
Have questions on the updates code and how they may affect your project and ongoing compliance of your facility and operations? Contact us with questions about the implications of the code change!