Are you passionate about construction, safety, and construction details and are looking to increase your knowledge in a high value niche market? We are looking for a self-motivated candidate who enjoys being on construction sites and is willing to dive into the world of fire protection and life safety related special inspections. Problem solver, educator, passion for code compliance… continue reading if you are interested in the variety of large-scale commercial construction projects that need immediate support.
Both local and national building and fire codes continue to add requirements for third party inspections of fire protection and life safety systems. These systems include both passive (fire rated walls, doors, and firestopping) as well as active (sprinkler, fire alarm, smoke control). Since the firm’s inception, Code Red Consultants have been at the forefront of providing these required special inspection services. We are seeking a construction professional that either has experience performing fire and life safety system inspections or is interested in leveraging their experience in the construction industry to become an inspector in this emerging service offering. This role will help diversify one’s skill set, particularly in the areas of firestopping and fire resistance rated construction due to the immediate involvement in performing firestopping special inspections. Additional inspection opportunities in smoke control, fire alarm and various types of fire protection systems will be available. Internal and external training opportunities in fire and life safety special inspections, including the financial support to become certified, will be provided.
This candidate would gain a vast amount of experience managing inspection schedules across multiple projects. This role will require travel to construction sites across New England and candidates must be willing to perform inspections to meet the construction schedules, which may include off-hours site visits. Candidates would be reimbursed for travel expenses and be compensated for off-hours services.
As a Fire Life Safety Special Inspector, you will work with and under the guidance of professional engineers to provide the following services to our clients:
- Serve as the firestopping special inspector in accordance with ASTM 2174 and 2393.
- Prepare field inspection reports.
- Perform site training and education for contractors and installers.
- Manage inspection schedule across multiple projects.
- Attend meetings with contractors, owners, and authorities having jurisdiction to review design strategies and documentation.
- Perform drawing reviews for compliance firestopping & fire resistance rated construction requirements.
Additional opportunities relative to the Field Services team include but are not limited to:
- Preparation of construction fire safety reports.
- Performing construction site fire safety audits.
- Assisting with the commissioning & inspections of fire alarm, fire protection & smoke control systems.
- Serving as the smoke control system special inspector.
Our ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 2+ years of performing construction inspections; firestopping systems and/or installing and specifying firestopping systems, fire alarm or smoke control systems preferred but not required.
- Leadership, strong work ethic, self-motivated, ability to work independently, and team oriented.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly in a construction site environment.
- Capable of managing high pressure, deadline driven situations and dealing with difficult conversations.
- Proactive project management and time management skill.
- Interest in working with a small, integrated team focused on driving results and providing valuable services to our clients.
- One of the following is preferred, but not required:
- Certified Building Inspector or Official
- Third Party Firestopping Inspector with the International Firestop Council or other recognized organization; or
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or similar degree from an accredited college or university.
- AutoCAD and/or Revit experience preferred.
- Examples of client service and team-centered project work.
Code Red Consultants offers an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, discretionary quarterly bonuses, retirement benefits such as a 401k & profit-sharing plan, health/dental/vision insurance, casual work environment, and flexible work schedule. Code Red Consultants is an equal opportunity employer.